5 October 2013 Journal Page



 I posted this to facebook yesterday: 

People always say the hardest part about being an artist is, "putting yourself out there." I actually think the most difficult thing is opening yourself up to your own possibility.


 In my many years of teaching, I've seen it all. I've seen folks who have no problem diving in and doing the work, just enjoying the process and not worried about the outcome. I've seen folks who are petrified that they will "mess up" (whatever that might mean to them) a page and are afraid to do ANYTHING at all. The thing about creating (be it a journal page, a canvas, a new recipe, whatever!) is that you have to be open to new ideas. You can't be afraid to "mess up" because there is no such thing as messing up. It's all about exploration (be it exploration of a new tool, technique or your self.) It's all about possibility. There is no wrong way of doing ANYTHING. If you don't like it, you do the work and push yourself until you do like it. Sometimes you have to walk away from the work and you either go back to it or you don't. The trick is to not beat yourself up over anything and just be willing to try. That's the beauty of keeping an art journal. It's not your place to make pretty or perfect. it's your place to experiment, explore and express. 


Some Housekeeping: 

Big, big thanks to everyone who has messaged me to let me know that they've received their copy of my book, Pieces of Me. Your kind words speak volumes to me. I really, really appreciate it. I appreciate being understood especially from the many messages of, "I can relate." that I've received. *Thank you.*

Thanks to everyone who has taken advantage of my buy one online class, get a second free sale so far. It's good until next Monday morning.

I'm working on journals to sell. I am hoping to have them in my shop either December 9th or 10th. I'll have more information in a day or two. Thanks for your patience. 

I also wanted to let folks know that anyone who signs up for an in person class in December with me will receive a little gift. I'm teaching this weekend at Banana Rose in Westlake Village and at Word is Art in L.A. I don't have too many local classes scheduled before I head back East for Christmas and classes in Massachusetts in December and January. I hope that you can join me.

Comments

Unknown said…
What a fabulous journal page - it speaks volumes - about marriage.

Thanks for all your wise words - I will take them on board when doing my journal courses.

I am seriously thinking of buying two more - on top of the ones my family are buying and the latest one I have bought.

After all - if all the info is being kept online - it would be a shame not too with your special offer wouldn't it. Then I can dip in an out of courses as the mood takes me.
Kelly Kilmer said…
Thank you, Lottie!

:) Funny about the online courses. Yes, you can dip into them at any time. I have no plans to take them down. I hope you enjoy!

Popular Posts