25 January 2016 Journal Pages



I'm rearranging my bookshelves and finding new treasures buried deep on the shelves. I have been rereading my copy of Maria Lassnig's The Pen is the Sister of the Brush: Diaries from 1943-1997. 

It's a book of Lassnig's artwork and diary segments. For me, it's a book that is best sampled and not devoured in one sitting:

"You have to have seen or felt the world, i.e. you have to know something specific in order to comprehend it and make it. And not just stand around casually or in the fog."

"I stand, as it were, nude in front of the canvas, without intention, without plans, without a model, without photography, and let things take shape. But I have a starting point which arose from the realization that the only truly real things are my own sensations, which transpire within the house of my body; they're physiological, the sensation of pressure when sitting and reclining, of tension and spatial extension-such things are rather difficult to depict."

Little glimpses into the mind of an artist are always like finding buried treasure to me.

Comments

Popular Posts