Favorite Books Purchased in 2010


Here's the list (in no particular order) that I've been promising of my favorite book purchases of 2010.

1.
Sister Corita
-comes in a clamshell box with 32 prints and 2 folded posters

I've been looking for this book with the box and prints for YEARS. I scored recently at a local used bookstore and found it for $30. The box was beat up but the inside condition was perfect. Happy? Very much so.
(I'm still looking for her Damn Everything But The Circus in the box with the prints.)

2.
Print & Pattern
I've kept this book next to my bed since I bought it. I love looking at it. I can't get enough of it! Her blog is AMAZING, too! Very inspiring!

3.
Masters: Collage
What I really love about this book is that it's not a how to in any form. I would love to see more paper arts books published as art books and not only as how to's/craft books. This book gives our art the respect that it deserves. Whether you put it on your coffee table or bookshelf, just make sure that you get it!

4.
Carla Sonheim's Drawing Lab
Carla doesn't just teach you how to draw, she teaches you how to LOOK and SEE things. I'm a firm believer in doing the work to become (insert label). Want to learn how to pick up a pen and love what comes from it? Pick up this book. Want to become a better artist? Run, don't walk for this book.

5.
Katherine Dunn's Creative Illustration Workshop
I have to be honest, I love Katherine Dunn. Love. LOVE her work. Love what she does. I adore her! I haven't read the book yet. Really? Really. Sure, I've flipped through the pages and seen the words but it's the art. Oh, man, it's the ART that makes my heart go pitter patter. I know that one of these days I will get beyond just staring open mouthed and drooly at the artwork on the pages and pick up the book to read it, but for now, it's in my Beloved Books Basket next to my bed ready for me to flip through and savor.

6.
Cat Bennett's The Confident Creative
Get this book and put it under your pillow. Crack it open and pour over it, absorbing everything that's in it (and then some) and RUN, run right to your journal and see what pours out.

7.
The New Age of Feminine Drawing
I love this book. I don't love it as much as it's predecessor, The Age of Feminine Drawing, and it may have to do with the fact that unlike TAOFD, it's a paperback and not a hardcover. However, I love the artwork. I love looking at artists studios. I love reading about what's going through an artist's mind as they create. If they published one of these every year for the rest of my life, I'd be in pure heaven.

8.
A Perfectly Kept House is the Sign of a Misspent Life
The title of this book is my own personal motto. I found this book at one of my local used bookstore haunts before it was even supposed to be on the shelves of the local bookstores. I practically jumped up and down when I saw it. It's lived up to my expectations and beyond. It's a gorgeous and most inspiring book.

9.
Tristan Manco's Sketch Book Journeys
I pretty much own every book that Tristan has penned. If you haven't guessed it by now, I'm a sketch book nut. This large, heavy volume designed to look like a moleskine doesn't disappoint. Not only do you get a peek into several artist's sketchbooks and journals, but you also get to read their thought process and what's going through their heads. Makes this a must have.

10.
Steven Heller's Graphic: Inside the Sketchbooks of the World's Great Graphic Designers
If I told you that I love this book but that I would recommend it just because it has Barron Storey in it, would you believe me? Okay, okay, it's worth getting for the other artists, too, but c'mon, Barron Storey should be enough to make you say, "I need this. Now."

11.
Lynda Barry's Picture This.
Lynda Barry. A Drawing Book. A book on HOW TO SEE things. Did I mention that it's Lynda Barry? Go get it. Now. Seriously. Pick up What It Is while you're at it, if you don't have that already. Yeah, you need 'em. Both. Now.

12.
Maira Kalman's And the Pursuit of Happiness
Maira Kalman makes me happy. She makes me sigh. She makes me laugh (out loud). I have every book that she's ever drawn or penned. As long as she keeps drawing books, I'll keep buying them.

13.
Amelia's Anthology of Illustration
This big colorful book is full of gorgeous art, imagery and imagination. It's inspiring and clever!

14.
The Beautiful
is beautiful! (You can see a sneak peek at the whole book in the review section of amazon). I was a bit irked at the price of the book with a soft cover (previous hefty priced publications by Die Gestalten Verlag were all hardcover) but I'll get over it. Yeah, goofy me did go out and buy a plastic book cover for it. Luscious and lovely!

15.
Anna Johnson's Savvy Chic
I bought this one for the collaged illustrations by Emily Taff. The author has some great ideas in the book as well. I'm enjoying reading it. I'm on the lookout for more of Emily's work!

16.
Hiroki Hayashi Collection published by Pie books
-a gem of a book that I found at Kinokuniya in San Francisco. It had to come home with me and I haven't been able to stop flipping through its pages.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh fine woman! Now You MAKE me go spend money.
Sharon W. said…
Kelly....Amazon has several used copies of "damn....", starting at $45. The first one listed is rated as "like new".
Kelly Kilmer said…
The first one is unavailable. I already emailed the seller about it. I want the book with the prints...
Great selection of books. Some of these are already on my wish list, but will be adding a few more to that list!!!
Artist and Geek said…
Dearest most beloved Kelly :)
Thank you, once again for bringing lesser known books to my attention.

I really appreciate that you point out what has been irritating me about how this "new" art movement is treated. That they are marketed as how to/crafts when they really belong where they belong: ART.

Kelly. I want a book on using tape in art. ;)
Seth said…
Thanks for the 'best of' 2010. You always share the coolest stuff.
Laney said…
Kelly - Thanks for the list of books. There are some there I am not familiar with - Amazon look out :)

I so agree with you about Creative Illustration. I got it for Christmas and I have picked it up many times to read it, but I just can't stop looking at the pictures! Lovely, lovely paintings!!
martha brown said…
Well, I have 5 of these! I don't have The Age of Feminine Drawing (or the New Age...) so that's what I'll buy next!

Popular Posts