DON'T read this post if you don't want to know about a cool book called PLACE (check the prices-Amazon had it discounted up until today so check around!). I picked my copy up at Kinokuniya bookstore in L.A. (it was the only copy they had) a couple of weeks ago (the only book I have bought in two weeks):




It's NOT for everyone and with a $59 price tag you need to see it before you buy it. The book itself is over 600 pages. The original was a 350 page "travel book". It reminded me of a unique "on the road" journal-traveling to and from via 35 artists, over 18 countries documenting how PLACE influences an individual and their art. There's also a DVD inside which I haven't had time to watch yet. The website for PLACE is here.

After browsing through lots of pens, stickers and books, this was one of the last things I picked up after putting another book back on the shelf. Kinokuniya has an utterly annoying policy of shrink wrapping almost ALL of their books. SO, you have to ask them if they will open it for you. The guy at the counter was nice but his boss wouldn't let him open everything (why would I buy a book sign unseen!?) I lucked out though as this one was already open and it was the only copy they had. I almost didn't even see it-I had to go back to the graphic section to put back another book I didn't like once I saw the inside. I almost croaked when I saw THIS book and fell in love with the darn thing!! LOL Yet $59!??! I flipped through it several several SEVERAL times before I finally made up my mind. I was worried that Amazon wouldn't have it (grr-they did!!).

I love the little "passports" that make up the start of each artist's section of the book. Very cool touch. I wish the book came packaged like they did the original (in a box-too cute). The diversity of the art -oh yum. It's fresh. It's real. It's jaw dropping. To see more, go to the PLACE website and click on the map. Then click the desired PLACE and then "collaboration" to see the pictures.

Two big thumbs up. This'll have a place next to my bed for a long time so I can savor it slowly!

*****

Print & Pattern blog posted about a book today that I *need*...it doesn't come out til April though! :)

Comments

&rew said…
I just ordered that book (Place) - I gotta have it, too! And that pattern book - can't just wait until April!!! Thanks for sharing! &rew

Popular Posts