RIP Mr. Vonnegut, you will be missed.
I couldn't believe the news this morning. We've all lost another friend, another important person not only in the "arts" but also for all human kind. Damnit. I'll never forget the first time I read Kurt Vonnegut. My copy of Welcome to the Monkey House is dogeared and well loved. It's one that I can read again and again. Pure poetry.

If you've never read anything by Vonnegut, go do yourself a favor. Get thee to a library *now*.

Some quotes by Vonnegut:

"Human beings will be happier - not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That's my utopia."

"I really wonder what gives us the right to wreck this poor planet of ours."

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
"

"I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
"

"If people think nature is their friend, then they sure don't need an enemy.
"

"If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind."


"People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order so they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say."

"Still and all, why bother? Here's my answer. Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone."


*****

Too good to be true:
Ford CEO Apologizes for Bush Claim
The CEO of Ford Motor Company has apologized for suggesting to reporters he had saved President Bush’s life. Alan Mulally had said he stopped the president from plugging an electrical cord into the hydrogen tank of a special Ford hybrid vehicle at the White House last week. Mulally now says the claim was a joke.

***
War and taxes Did you know that 40% of your taxes go to fund military related expenses (WAR)? Check your long distance telephone bill.

Comments

Popular Posts