Art and Life


I make art about my life. That life includes what I experience going on in the world around me. I get things in my head and to be able to process (or even attempt to process) the events, I turn to my journal.













Above is a very small sampling of what some might deem to be my "political" journal pages over the years. 

In the early years, I didn't always date my pages so I have had to guess the order in which they were created. They begin in the early 2000's to the past week (the last three pages you see at the bottom.)

Art making to me is about connection. Connecting with myself as well as the world around me.

“That chain of relationships made me think of how connections are made--you read a book, you meet a person, you have a single experience, and your life is changed in some way. No act, therefore, however small, should be dismissed or ignored.” - Howard ZinnYou Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train: A Personal History of Our Times

These pages speak my truth then and now. They put into the world often times the things that I have trouble expressing in conversation.

My art has helped me to think and process what's going on around me as well as inside of me.

Call them what you want, they're mine.These pages are an integral part of my every being. They make me who I am. They help me to think and help me decide how to act. They help me to connect to myself and to the world around me. They're a part of my way of problem solving. They lead me to the next step. Not always pretty or perfect but always honest...

Comments

Debbie said…
I remember that bastard Rhodes quote...from your first page here. It was right before the Ohio National Guard murdered the students at Kent State. I was a senior in high school and accepted into the School of Art there for that Fall. Your journal spread is powerful...as are all these pages. Thanks for sharing them.
Korrine said…
I love seeing how your journals have evolved and changed. It gives me hope that I can be great one day too!

Popular Posts