Lucky Rose Gallery in New Orleans


On my way back from teaching at Everything Scrapbook and Stamps in Lake Worth, FL, Mom and I stopped in New Orleans. Well, "stopped" isn't exactly the right word. We went out of our way to make sure that we got there. When we crossed into Louisiana, we stopped at the welcome center/rest area. We were met with the friendliest group of women working there. I told them that we only had about an hour to visit and they suggested that we try to stay in New Orleans longer. We ended up spending about three hours there (we wish that we had been able to spend more time but we still had a six hour drive to Houston and we had already driven three hours.) My original plan was to drive through the city and stop for ice cream. So, I asked the ladies about two shops, one sold ice cream and the other my sister found via a google search, Wink's. One lady looked up Wink's and by the look on her face and how she described, "buttermilk drops", I knew that we had to go there (she was right!)

There wasn't any traffic going into the city. Once we hit the area of the French Quarter, that's when it quickly became bumper to bumper. We found parking and started walking around. I'm going to save those photos and the rest of that story for another post. 

One of the galleries that Mom and I stumbled upon was Lucky Rose where artist, Cathy Rose displays her stunning creations. This is part of her artist's statement from her website:

"Twenty years of being taught by the same teacher and still more to learn. Every morning, the same lesson, every morning a new lesson."

I think that you can see why I flipped for her artwork. I've never seen anything quite like it:

 
 
 
 
  

I try to support other artists as much as I can. Some days it is easier than others to do so but I couldn't leave without one of her pieces. The ones that I wanted the most were out of my range (I settled for taking them home in my dreams.) Fortunately, I was able to buy a porcelain cup that I am in love with. The lady in the gallery told me that the sales tax was a mere 3% because it was a gallery that specialized in original art and that the city wants to encourage artists to stay and sell there as much as possible (I thought that this was very interesting especially living in Los Angeles.)

Since our trip, I have been thinking about what I saw and experienced there. I can't wait to go back to New Orleans to see Cathy's wonderful artwork again.

Find out more about Cathy Rose and her wonderful creations:

Visit:
Lucky Rose Gallery
840 Royal Street
New Orleans


(mailing address)
Lucky Rose Gallery
4536 South Johnson Street
New Orleans, LA 70125
504-309-8000
 

Comments

Popular Posts