Joan Mitchell: Lady Painter


I set aside Mark Rothko: From the Inside Out and picked up Patricia Alber's Joan Mitchell Lady Painter: A LifeI had about a hundred pages left to go in the book. The Rothko book wasn't a bad book (far from it) and there are some true gems in the book. I also have a biography on Rothko to read and will return to both eventually. 

There's something that I'm looking for in these books about artists and I'm not exactly sure what it is or if I'll even find it but that doesn't stop me from devouring them. Most of the books that I have picked up are about artists whom I know absolutely nothing about. I may have heard their names, seen a painting, or this might be the first time I've heard about them. I might not even like or love their work but that doesn't stop me from wanting to know more about their creative process and their world. There is always something new to learn and glean.

I am saving this to watch, but you might be interested in viewing it now: Writer and art historian Patricia Albers presents "Joan Mitchell, Lady Painter," an illustrated lecture on Abstract Expressionist artist Joan Mitchell.

Read more about Joan Mitchell here.

Quick bit of housekeeping: 

I have a handful of classes coming up this weekend and into next month:


As always, if you have any recommendations on any recent art reads, I'd love to hear!

Comments

Popular Posts