What You'll Find Here

I post daily (photos of my journal pages, things that inspire me and personal bits and pieces) to inspire and encourage others. I have always believed that if I can do it, so can you.

You'll find resources (my favorite supplies, books, slideshows of my art journal pages, favorite bloggers, etc...) listed along the right hand side of my blog.

I've been teaching both in person and online workshops for almost twenty years now. You can find out more about my classes by scrolling down along the right hand side of my blog. I strive to make classes accessible to everyone (both beginner to advanced).

I love teaching and truly believe that deep down inside everyone is an artist, capable of creating something. There is power and knowledge in the act of creating something with your own hands, made from your own heart and head.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at EGorey99@sbcglobal.net

Thanks for stopping by!


Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pen Love: JetPens Order Review

JetPens has started up their program again where they send select artists a $25 gift certificate. I always have a hard time narrowing down the pens that I wanted to try but here's what I bought this time:

Here's what you need to know, I didn't use the cartridge that came with the pen so I can't tell you anything about that ink. Instead, I filled it with Noodlers Black Ink that I bought at Vroman's in Pasadena. I love this pen. Ideally, I want to find a permanent, waterproof ink for it (one that writes on slick, glossy surfaces like tape, etc...) but for writing on paper, yum. It's a $15 fountain pen that writes like butter!!!! I've tried various fountain pens before and this one is quickly proving to be my favorite.  
Pilot Hi-Tec-C Maica Gel Ink Pen - 0.4 mm - Black - PILOT LHM-15C4-B
Pilot Hi-Tec-C Maica Gel Ink Pen - 0.4 mm - Pink 
Pilot Hi-Tec-C Maica Gel Ink Pen - 0.4 mm - Black
I bought one of these pens last month (blue black) and loved it. It's a fine tip, water-based gel pen that writes very smoothly, no skipping and it's not scratchy at all. I love the colors and the fine tip. I would most definitely buy more of these.

I wrote on handmade paper with the pen last night expecting the ink to feather but I was wrong. The ink stayed a vibrant pink on top of the grey handmade paper. Yeah, I definitely would buy more of these. Here's the pink pen used at the top right corner of this work in progress page:

 Pilot Fude-Makase Color Brush Pen - Extra Fine - Blue Black - PILOT SVFM-20EF-BB
Pilot Fude-Makase Color Brush Pen - Extra Fine - Blue Black
I liked this pen when I bought it in pink last month. I honestly can't say that I love it or that I'd be reaching for it on a regular basis but it's a smooth, dye-based ink pen that would be perfect for drawing or doodling.


As an fyi, none of the above pens (including the fountain pen filled with the ink that I used) are permanent on dried acrylics or paper tape/washi tape.

1 comment:

Doris A said...

Nice review as usual. You might check out Kolinoor ink (I think that is the right spelling ) for your fountain pen . They made an ink for rapidiograph pens that was meant to write on film.