Ways of Seeing: An Artist's Guide to Composition & Design


I am very excited to announce my latest online class, Ways of Seeing: An Artist's Guide to Composition & Design!

We tend to take things at face value, not taking the time to ask ourselves, "What if?" What if we use an image that we've been saving for just the right moment, glue it to the page, add some visual interest and move on? Wait. What if we step back and explore other ways of using that same image and papers? What if we push ourselves out of our comfort zone and learn how to open our creative eyes even more? What if we learn new ways of seeing and approaching our artwork?
 
What's so special about this class? 
 
You will start by learning how to construct a fun and unusual book--no sewing required!  The heart of the class is learning how to use multiple copies of identical focal images, background papers and tools to create five unique pages. Using techniques that teach composition, design and more, you will learn how to bring your pages to a level you never dreamed possible. You will create TWENTY ENTIRELY NEW art journal pages. You will discover that these techniques can be applied to ANY art form (art journaling, painting, etc...) and you will always want them at your fingertips!

Even though I am going to be showing you step by step how I made my pages, your own pages will be uniquely yours and I will guide you into creating deeply personal and one of a kind journal pages.

Bonus:
I'm adding four NEW collage sheets that are only available in this class! These sheets include all of the focal images that I used to make my own pages.
Do I have to use the same images repeatedly? 

No! You can use different images, papers and materials. Regardless of what materials you use and how you approach the techniques, you will learn a lot from this class.
 

Do I have to use the images you used on the collage sheets?
 
Not at all! I encourage you to follow your heart and select images and papers that work best for you!

Are there photos?

Yes, there are photos of my sample pages. You will also have the opportunity to upload and share (if you wish) your own sample pages.

How is the class set up?
 
We are going to be using a closed, private yahoo group to access the class materials. There you will also be able to interact with each other as well as post photos, ask questions, etc. You are free to email me at ANY time with questions, etc... I will respond to each and every email sent. I will also offer feedback.

Is there a handout? 

YES! I am a firm believer in handouts. You will receive an extensive 40+ page handout (for you to download, save and print out) that contains ALL NEW collage, journal and mixed media ideas. There are step by step instructions, collage templates, bookbinding instructions, tons of information, photos and more. 

What's the supply list?


I really want you to use stuff that you already have on hand. For the pages, you need:
  • glue (a glue stick, gel medium, whatever adhesive you usually use for paper)
  • pens (again, use what you have on hand.) 
  • scissors
  • an old rag or paper towel for burnishing the images
  • a gluing surface (like an old catalog)
  • collage ephemera: photos, print outs, handmade paper, decorative paper, old magazines, catalogs or books for the collage part of the class (basically you are looking for anything that YOU would use to create a collage.) 
  • Everything else (ruler (for tearing paper), stencils, decorative tape, rubber stamps, rub-ons, etc...) is completely optional! 
All you need is paper, pens, scissors and glue!



For the bookbinding part of the class (optional if you want to work in a ready made journal), you will need:
  • an old hardcover book
  • cardstock or your favorite paper to work on
  • tape (decorative, washi, paper, deco or even packing tape.)
  • bone folder or something to burnish/fold with (even the back of an old spoon will do)
I work full time. Can I take this class at any time?

Yes! This is a work at your own pace class. You can sign up at any point. You will have full access to the class. I am always available to answer and respond to questions.

When does the class start?



The class will go live on or before April 11th, 2014. Within 24 hours of you signing up, you will receive an email from me with information on how to access the class material.

How much does it cost?

$25

Please note there are no refunds once you receive the course materials.

Please also respect the amount of time, effort and work it took me to create this material. You can download, save and print out this material (or read it on your ipad, kindle, etc.) for personal use. I'm a one woman (very small) business and I work very hard at what I do. I strive to offer the best material possible. I'm always excited about what I teach and I hope that you get the most out of my classes. This helps to support my work and makes me able to offer more classes and come up new ideas!

If you teach children, feel free to work on the exercises with them! I don't mind people who teach kids using these ideas in classes! Get 'em started and hooked on art young is my motto!

Can I give the class as a gift?

Sure! If you email me or include a note with your payment, I will email the file to whomever you'd like.

Who is this class geared for?

Everyone! I strive to make my classes accessible for beginners to advanced students. I have been working in and teaching this medium for over 17 years now and I learn something new with every workshop.

When is the best time to take this workshop? 

 
When I came up with the idea for this class, I wanted to make it accessible for folks to work in their journal ANYWHERE at ANYTIME. I worked in this journal as I taught and traveled. The size, weight and portability, along with the limited amount of supplies you need make this the perfect journal for life on the go or close to home. It's small enough that you can put it in your purse with a glue stick and a pen. I love sticking my collage ephemera, a couple of pens and a glue stick in a baggie with the journal. I'm all about portability and ease!

This class does not close! You can sign-up and take the workshop ANY time and work at your own pace! Once you've signed up for Ways of Seeing: An Artist's Guide to Composition & Design, you are in the workshop!


How do I sign up? 

Click the paypal button below or email me at EGorey99@sbcglobal.net more more info!







 


Comments

Hello,

I discovered your blog there is a few weeks and I am very interested in what you create. To learn to know your work, I decided to join your new on-line course. As English is not my mother tongue; I speak French, I use reverso.net for the translation.
I am delighted to discover this workshop. :)
Emie58 said…
Just signed up!!! A new Kelly class... Woo Hoo!!!
Kelly Kilmer said…
Thank you both so much!! :) I hope that you enjoy.
WendyP said…
love all your online courses - just signed up and can't wait till the 11th April to come around xoxo

Popular Posts