What I am Reading Now


I stayed up into the early hours of the morning last night reading Kiki de Montparnasse. I read all four hundred plus pages last night. Anyone who dismisses comics (or graphic novels as they are also called) really needs to give them a second chance or look again at what they consider to be comics. It's not all super heroes and villians. There's so much out there and definitely something for everybody.

I started the Cocteau book the other day (after I finished Bunuel's My Last Sigh.) There are bits and pieces that I'm gleaning that are making it well worth the read. I'm about halfway through it now.

Next on the list is Marjane Satrapi's The Sigh. I may stay up tonight and read it as I've been waiting for it for awhile now. David found a copy for me at The Iliad in North Hollywood and I jumped up and down when I saw it. (The last copy they had was Dogeared and I avoid buying books that aren't in better condition.) I am a big fan of Satrapi's work. If you haven't read anything by her, start with Persepolis and go from there. When you're done with her books, rent Persepolis. Her work is amazing.

David recommended Chaplin's autobiography especially since I liked Bunuel and Kurosawa's books so much. I also want to read Films in My Life by Truffaut (that's on the shelf and not in the picture.) 

Since I seem to be on a surrealist kick, I have been saving Andre Breton's Manifestos of Surrealism but now seems to be the perfect time to crack it open.

What books have you devoured lately?

Comments

Linda Jo said…
Haven't read a lot lately.... but right now I'm in the middle of The Art Forger by B.A. Shapiro.... it's great!

Popular Posts