I'm very excited to announce a class that folks have been asking me to teach online for several years now, Swatches: Little Paper Books Revised and Revisited.
In 2008 I started making these little paper journal booklets from scrap papers. I took them everywhere I went, working on them every chance I could get. I made tons of them not only in classes while I was demo-ing but also at home and on the road for friends and customers who wanted them as well as for myself! They were extremely popular. To this day, I still have folks emailing me about them and asking to take the class. Swatches were what got me started in the style that I am working in now. My style has changed immensely since then but the heart of those little paper books still beats deep within.
I will not be offering this class as an in person class again. This will solely be a revised online class from now on.
If you have taken this class in person you need to know that this is a NEW revised class with new material. You will be receiving:
- The 2008 original seven page handout
- Step by step illustrated Instructions and photos in a thirteen page handout for making the new revised book (bookbinding and construction)
- 30 NEW worksheets with ALL NEW sample page ideas, ALL NEW collage templates (30), journal prompts (30), mixed media ideas and much, much more.
- That equals FIFTY pages of handouts!
What will I be learning?
Bookbinding (two different stitches), collage, composition, design, color, art journaling, different ways to approach your pages, mixed media techniques and so much more. I try to make ALL of my pages offer a wide variety of fundamental techniques and ideas that can be translated beyond art journaling. These techniques can be adapted to ANY form of self expression.
Yes, there are photos of my sample pages. You will also have the opportunity to upload and share (if you wish) your own sample pages.
Is there a handout?
YES! I am a firm believer in handouts. Every week for one month, you will receive a seven page handout (for you to download, save and print out) that contains collage, journal and mixed media ideas. In the end you will receive over thirty worksheets chock full of NEW ideas and inspiration! There are step by step instructions, tons of information, photos and more. There are also (new!) collage templates for you to use if you wish! You will also be receiving the original Swatches handout (four pages long and written in 2008.)
What's the supply list?
I really want you to use stuff that you already have on hand. Please do not go out and buy anything for this class. For the pages, you need
- glue (a glue stick, gel medium, whatever adhesive you usually use for paper)
- favorite markers and pens
- an old rag or paper towel for burnishing the images
- a gluing surface (like an old catalog)
- collage ephemera: photos, print outs, handmade paper, decorative paper, old magazines, catalogs or books for the collage part of the class (basically you are looking for anything that YOU would use to create a collage.)
- You may also want to have decorative and paper tape, rubber stamps, ink pads (I like Staz-On), stickers, etc... but that is completely up to you!
- an awl
- wide eyed tapestry needle
- a piece of waxed linen thread
- heavy cardstock (or something to use as the pages)
- heavy cardstock for the cover (cardboard box, recycled envelope, etc... I'll have more ideas for this in the class) to make the revised journal.
- waxed linen thread
- any "junk" papers that you can find (old book pages, bills, notes, etc...)
Yes! This is a work at your own pace class. You can sign up at any point. You will have full access to the class. I am always available to answer and respond to questions.
When does the class start?
THIS IS A WORK AT YOUR OWN PACE CLASS so even though you will be receiving weekly handouts for thirty days, you can still access and work entirely at your own pace! Within 24 hours of your sign-up, you will receive information from me on how to access the class. If you do not receive this information after twenty four hours, please email me at EGorey99@sbcglobal.net
How much does it cost?
Please note there are no refunds once you receive the course materials.
Please also respect the amount of time, effort and work it took me to create this material. You can download, save and print out (or read it on your ipad, kindle, etc.) for personal use. I'm a one woman (very small) business and I work very hard at what I do. I strive to offer the best material possible. I'm always excited about what I teach and I hope that you get the most out of my classes. This helps to support my work and makes me able to offer more classes and come up new ideas!
If you teach children, feel free to work on the exercises with them! I don't mind people who teach kids using these ideas in classes! Get 'em started and hooked on art young is my motto!
Can I give the class as a gift?
Sure! If you email me or include a note with your payment, I will email the file to whomever you'd like.
Who is this class geared towards?
Everyone! I strive to make my classes accessible for beginners to advanced students. I have been working in and teaching this medium for over 15 years now and I learn something new with every workshop.
When is the best time to take this workshop?
When I came up with the idea for this class, I wanted to make it accessible for folks to work in their journal ANYWHERE at ANYTIME. I worked in this journal as I taught and traveled. The size, weight and portability, along with the limited amount of supplies you need make this the perfect journal for life on the go or close to home. It's small enough that you can put it in your purse with a glue stick and a pen. I love sticking my collage ephemera, a couple of pens and a glue stick in a baggie with the journal. I'm all about portability and ease!
This class does not close! You can sign-up and take the workshop ANY time and work at your own pace! Once you've signed up for Swatches: Little Paper Books Revised and Revisited, you are in the workshop!
How do I sign up?
Click the paypal button below or email me at EGorey99@sbcglobal.net more more info!