A Life Made By Hand

-->

A Life Made By Hand
Journaling isn’t about pretty pages. It isn’t about creating a work of art, either. It’s about learning and exploring who you are. It’s about blending the idea of an artist’s sketchbook/workbook, self exploration and introspective diary keeping. It’s any and all of those things, and so much more.
It is a journal class, yet it's similar to all of my classes where the classes aren't just techniques that you can use in one single form of art but in every form of mixed media art. It's a hodge podge of a class-a mix of this and that. Students will receive a handout that has six months of daily prompts- they can take that idea and create a page (or even a scrapbook page, or an atc or canvas or any kind of mixed media project) in 15 minutes or less. The collage ideas that I like to offer are design and composition tips, tricks and techniques disguised as FUN collage pages (that will push and prod even the most experienced collage artist). The journal prompts aren't your average run of the mill writing prompts either. They are designed to make you think and to dive deep. I want them to relate to everyone and not just a handful of people. It's meant to be a fun class that anyone can do at any time. It's great if you can do a page a day, if not, the information is available for you to download and work at your own pace. It's not meant to be hard or to have any pressure. It's meant to inspire, nurture and encourage.

What you should know-

Students can sign up at any point.

This is a work at your own pace class.

The class is available as a PDF so that students can join the class, have full access to the class and work at their own pace at any time.
None of the prompts relate to a specific date. They are labeled with numbers, not dates so that they can be done at any time.
$25

What you get-

181 prompts and more-one a day for six months

25 collage templates (turn the collage templates in different directions and you get even MORE collage templates! The possibilities are endless!)

Tips, Tricks, Ideas, and Inspiration

Seven instructional videos

Journal pages from me that you won't see anywhere else!

SIX free Collage sheets for you to download and use for personal use

Tutorials

Detailed Instruction-PDF files for you to download, save and print
 

Join and work at your own pace!

Yes! There are TWO tutorials on creating your own journals for the class.

What do you need?

A Journal

a glue stick (I like coccoina, avery, scotch-anything labeled permanent)

a favorite pen-mine are: Sakura gelly roll glaze, Sakura Souffle, Latte and sweets pens, Zig Vellum and Writer pens, Faber Castell Pitt Pens (brush stroke, black), Sharpie Poster Paint pens (water based), Micron pens, uniball signo...you do not need all of these! Just a pen that will write on paint and paper!

Paper ephemera-collage papers for background and focal, images
 

Share. Learn. Play. Explore your life in 181 days.

181 pages. 


No refunds after access to the PDF files are sent.

Questions? Please email me at EGorey99@sbcglobal.net

In the time that it took to read this, you could have done a page. ;)











Comments

mwquilt said…
This looks very exciting. I don't think I have any spare money this side of the holidays, but I have made a note in my diary for January to consider it in my budget for that month :-)
Viki said…
Oh KELLY!
Sounds like fun and I'm excited!

It doesn't look like any paint is used? Is it just collage for the backgrounds?

I always love looking at your journals all in a pile like this...Beautiful.
melle said…
art journaling hasn't been as tough as I thought it would be.


(LOL! In my head I am talking with french accent. It happens when I read things that are french)

I thought it was going to be one of those "Oh poop, I forgot again" or "I have better things to do". But it's actually the first thing I think about upon waking. Haven't needed a prompt yet.
Kelly Kilmer said…
These aren't your run of the mill
'prompts'. They're meant to push you outside of your comfort zone and box. To make you think of things you may not journal about. Things other than, "I went to work. Life sucks. I paid the bills. Bored. Whatever!" They are prompts to make you think.

It's also more than that-I will be doing tutorials on how I make my pages and some videos teaching how I do pages.
Kelly Kilmer said…
Viki-no paint. Lots of surprises, though.
Marissa said…
This class sounds great. I will definitely sign up!!!! Thanks Kelly for thinking of another wonderful online class for us "Kelly groupies"!
Tana said…
Kelly!!!! What a great Christmas gift this will be to myself - a commitment to immerse myself in what I love doing - with an artist I love knowing!!! Fabulous idea, Art Princess!!!
Taylor schapiro said…
Looks great. Much more fun than National Board.
Sandy said…
Well you already know I'm going to want to do it. Maybe it will be one of my Christmas presents. :) I do know I'll be needing a new journal for another class.
Renee said…
And they get you and all that talent and knowledge.

Love you Kelly.
x
xooxo
Lori Wostl said…
Yeehaw! Just waiting for my money to hit my Paypal account - then I will be yours!
Sounds wonderful! I think this will be a special Christmas present to myself...that will keep on giving.
Anonymous said…
Sounds awesome! I can't wait, I just signed up.. I am excited to learn about collage, I am taking a collage class at the local college near me, two day workshop, so 2010 will be filled with fun! Hard to decide though, there are several other workshops I wanted to take, they all start in Jan! Looking forward to the instruction and inspiration!
mo said…
i'm having trouble resuming my journaling. fear of blank page, maybe? this looks like it would be a great way to jump start my efforts!
mo said…
oops, forgot to ask: how often will there be a tutorial? weekly? more often, less often? how much "homework", how much time to work on each? or do we just work at our own pace? this will make a difference in whether or not i can take the class :D

thanks ...
Kelly Kilmer said…
Hi Mo,

If you want to jump start your journaling, if you need motivation, if you want some fun new ideas, if you want to be pushed, if you're new to this, if you've been doing this for awhile and you need new ideas-this is the class for you! I like making my classes available for everyone.

it's a work at your own pace class. The prompts are meant to be done in 15 minutes or less daily OR you can do them at any time. you do not need to keep up with anything. There will be a video on
Making your own journal
There will be two pdfs on different ways to make journals
Videos on collage techniques/tips/tricks/composition/design
pdfs on the above
Daily written prompts in pdf mode that you can download, save and print out at any time.
NO homework. No you have to do this by X time. It's a safe place to get new ideas, share with others (if you're so inclined) and see lots of journal pages by people all over the world. The board will be full of lots of different information too.
I hope these answer your questions.
mo said…
thanks, kelly, for your answers. that helps. i'm all about the writing, btw, so that's where my focus always is. i like to occasionally add visuals to supplement the words. and i love collaging. i'm signing up NOW! can't wait. one of my friends is even considering the class as well, so that's double the fun ;)
Unknown said…
I love this class and really want to join but having been made redundant from my job just two weeks ago (great just before Xmas) I really cannot afford the class. I will just have to keep up with your blog to see more lush stuff!!
Kristen said…
Kelly - a friend sent me a link to this class thinking I'd like to take and boy was she right! I can't wait for this class to start and will find it very challenging. It will be an additional way for me express myself artistically. I always welcome the chance to grown, it's one way to live life to the fullest.
Barb Smith said…
Kelly...I just ordered the class...it was my Christmas present to myself. It's the best thing I could have gotten. I am so excited!!! Thank you so very much.
Peace & Love,
~Barb~
this looks like a lot of fun. I'm always up for new prompts and new ways of looking at things!

I was going to sign up for APAD again FINALLY, but maybe I'll do this instead!
Joyce's Journey said…
Hi! I just signed up for your class and am so excited to get started! Thanks for offering a great and inspirational start to a new year!!
Barbara Hagerty said…
Here I am, finally! Last minute as usual, but VERY excited about this and I know that jumping in at any time is better than not being here at all! Happy New Year, Kelly!
Sherrie Miranda said…
Wow! I love your work and that of your student's too. I found her on Facebook and she led me to you. Any chance you'll do a class in San Diego in the near future?
Lynda said…
Hi Kelly,

I just found you today and would like to know if I can join this class even though you are already in to it a month and half? If so, will I be able to get all of the prompts and all from those missed classes. Thanks.

lheines at wowway.com
lynda Howells said…
Yweh!! l just joined..let the fun beginxxlynda
lynda Howells said…
Yweh!! l just joined..let the fun beginxxlynda
Unknown said…
Hi Kelly--Your stuff always looks so much fun & energetic. I travel for a living and can't lug lots around with me, but really want to sign up. If I understand correctly, the prompts, videos, etc., can all be downloaded for use at any time. Will the earlier months' collage sheets also be available to those of us joining here at the tail end?

Thanks for exciting and inspiring me to get busy doing NEW! I hope to sign up as soon as possible, especially if all the info will be downloadable and usable despite my being late out of the gate!
Thanks, Zjazjie
Kelly Kilmer said…
Hi Zjazjie,

YES all of the info is up and will remain up for you to access at any time. At present date, I have no plans to take down the class info. I want to leave it up past June 30th 2010. Everything is up there-videos, pdf files, collage sheets, etc...

Also, I travel often with art supplies and I make the classes accessible to anyone. You don't need a ton of stuff just a journal, glue stick, a pen or two and collage stuff. I often use a small $2 iris photo case that I stick scraps in and pick from there. :)

If you have any questions, please email me!
Thanks!
kelly
Anonymous said…
I'm interested in your classes. I noticed that some of the dates mentioned in the earlier comments are from 2010. Are your classes still available?
Kelly Kilmer said…
Yes. All of my classes are work at your own pace. They're all still available. If you have any questions, please email me at Egorey99@sbcglobal.net
Thanks,
Kelly

Popular Posts