San Diego Comic Con 2009 Highlights

Comic Con 2009

Wednesday night-aka Preview Night-

Andy Runton of Owly
Darwyn Cooke signs The Hunter-Bryan Talbot signs The Adventures of Luther Arkwright-Dave McKean and his wonderful manager, Allen Spiegel (thank you, Allen)-Bwana Spoons-you must get his new book, Welcome To Forest Island-Thursday-
In line at Hall H, Hell Hall for the Disney 3D panel for Alice in Wonderland. Saw Tim Burton AND Johnny Depp. LOVEd Patton Oswalt as the moderator. We had to get there bright and early as we were afraid that the Twilight fans would shut us out of the hall.
Adrian Paul-
Tristan meeting Adam West (and West didn't pull a Shitner, I mean Shatner, West was very nice to Tristan)-Seeing the Terry Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus (which I can not wait to see)-
Ended the night with John Kricfalusi's spotlight panel.

Friday-

In line early again for the Warner Bros panel and the Disney 3-D panel to see Miyazaki. We also saw 9, which I'm on the fence about-
Meeting Seth and Jason Lutes-The Eisners- People camped out for Hall H the next morning-Saturday-

Tristan meeting Jeff Smith-
Tristan meeting Bill Morrison-The Sheldon Moldoff panel-Tristan meets the cast of Spongebob Squarepants-Tristan and I meeting Richard Thompson (yes, Richard, Comic Con IS sensory overload!)-Spotlight on Seth panel-Tristan having fun-This is only funny to me and the guy in front of me who about bust a gut laughing at this-Live Art Show via Neko Press all weekend long (loved this!)-Sunday morning-

After breakfast, we had to go across the street from the convention center and take pictures of the fake carnival-More costumes (I am still kicking myself for not taking a picture of the woman dressed up as Rainbow Brite)-The line to get in Sunday. We thought it wouldn't be so bad on the floor. Little did we know.More costumes (Love the Planet of the Apes costumes!)-One of the many things we love about Con, is seeing all of the original comics in one spot-the ones that started it all. One thing we don't like is the trend lately to put company names across the covers. Another trend we don't like is showing off color copies only of the books.
Action Comics #1-impressive!Tristan meeting Sergio Aragones-Going to Buenaventura Press and seeing Matt Groening shopping IN the booth. Asking Matt when he was signing in his booth and he said, "In about 5 minutes for about 3 people and you may be one of them!" Then he said, "Who wants something signed?" and I pointed to Tristan. Matt, graciously signed Tristan's book and drew Homer in it, too. Tristan was ecstatic!!!! (As was I, since we had been to Bongo several times looking for Matt, and I am always buying Simpsons comics for Tristan.)Meeting Russ Heath and Jerry Robinson-Tristan meets Nina Matsumoto- (who had one of the best acceptance speeches at the Eisners)-Tristan meets Art Baltazar and Franco-(they colored in CRAYON. How frickin' cool is that?!?!)-Sunday's crowd-Meeting James Jean-
Meeting Stan Freberg-Meeting one of my heroes, writer Peter S. Beagle, whose work I have read since I was a little girl. I didn't have the camera so I couldn't take a picture, but it meant a lot to me to just even shake his hand. You can find out more about Peter and his work here and buy his books here. He also has a wonderful project called 52/50 celebrating his 70 years of life on Earth.

Barron Storey sketching Tristan in the last minutes of the show. Tristan asked him if he could please, "Sketch and sign, please." I'm still floored by it. Thank you, Barron.
Adieu until next year.I promise to do a post on the books that I bought this week.

*****
Great letter regarding the show by Mile High Comics.

Comments

Eveline said…
So it was alright then?

;) ;)

Good to read and see you had such a great time!
T and J said…
Looks like you met a lot of people!

Popular Posts