Family Guest Bloggers...at Comic Con 2008

Hi Everybody!

Tristan Kilmer reporting LIVE from the 2008 The Spirit PRESENTS The 20th Annual WILL EISNER Comics Industry Awards. I will be posting a full report of the winners at the end of the show. My parents are helping me type this out.

My Dad and I saw the trailer for The Spirit film today. I'm extremely disappointed. The quote "The men will love it" says it all (because of the women in the film). My Dad introduced me to Will Eisner's work. This film is NOT Eisner. This film is Frank Miller re-doing Sin City. There's lots of guns (too many). They made a big point about creating a "new gun" both Samuel Jackson (who was there and he was cool to see) and Frank Miller spent a good chunk of the panel discussing how they came up with a new gun which is not surprising given that Miller in one of last year's panels said that an artist draws what he likes and he likes to draw guns. So, obviously he likes to film guns. The female producer of the film is the one who said that in regards to the large number of women that they have in the film that there's something for "everybody". They showed three clips (in addition to the new trailer). They made a big deal in one clip (the underwater sequence) about how they came up with a "new trick" to film underwater when they actually weren't filming underwater. Miller said the trick with underwater photography could not be done with CGI so they used a camera that originated with the CIA to create the effect that the actors were under water, but they weren't. There's another scene with the Octopus (played by Jackson) which showcases the gun that they talked about. The final clip was a love scene between the Spirit and Sand Saref (that's the scene where she tells him to keep the mask on that it's better that way...) That's when we walked out.

More after the Awards...

Here's my Mom:

LYNDA BARRY LOVE FEST COMING SOON!!! She is one of THE coolest people on the PLANET. Also you'll hear me talk about Jim Woodring, Kim Deitch, Andy Runton, Eddie Campbell and MORE. A FULL thorough report coming soon of the "Good Guys of the show vs. the Bad, Evil Assholes" (none of the above fall in the latter category).

Sorry, no pictures for now (no access for the camera chip)...

Comments

Jane Eileen said…
Ok, I don't know very much of anything about Comic Con or film making, but I feeler dumber than ever now that an almost 6th grader could know this much. His writing is amazing for his age as well. I was going to look and see if Ashton was behind my computer and I was being punked, but it is obvious his voice is much different than yours, so, uh, wow! This is really something to be proud of. I would love to have him in my 6th grade class next year. He could probably just teach it for me.
Hope you're having fun, fun, fun, even though Tristan had to walk out of the seesion on which he reported.

Popular Posts