Two journal pages from last night:
The above page is actually an "envelope". I received the envelope containing tape I had ordered from overseas. I loved the stamps on the front, so I carefully pulled those off. Then I flipped the envelope over (backside up) and glued it down in my journal. The left hand side can be used like a pocket-it opens up. :) I then started gluing scraps of papers down (moving them around to figure out what I liked best and where it worked). Then, I used my Caran d'ache Neo Art Watersoluble Wax Pastels and colored the envelope. I also added tape, stickers and writing. Not perfect, but fun to do.
Also quickly eeked out this page last night using two quotes I found in a great quote book I have been reading lately.

The quotes I used on this page are:

A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit.
-- Elton Trueblood (1900-1994)
(I messed up on the page and attributed it to Eleanor Roosevelt. I will have to change that...)

and the other quote is:

"No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted."
--
Aesop, The Lion and the Mouse

This is one of my favorite quotes from the book:

"If your workplace is safe; if your children go to school rather than being forced into labor; if you are paid a living wage, including overtime; if you enjoy a 40-hour week and you are allowed to join a union to protect your rights -- you can thank liberals. If your food is not poisoned and your water is drinkable -- you can thank liberals. If your parents are eligible for Medicare and Social Security, so they can grow old in dignity without bankrupting your family -- you can thank liberals. If our rivers are getting cleaner and our air isn't black with pollution; if our wilderness is protected and our countryside is still green -- you can thank liberals. If people of all races can share the same public facilities; if everyone has the right to vote; if couples fall in love and marry regardless of race; if we have finally begun to transcend a segregated society -- you can thank liberals. Progressive innovations like those and so many others were achieved by long, difficult struggles against entrenched power. What defined conservatism, and conservatives, was their opposition to every one of those advances. The country we know and love today was built by those victories for liberalism -- with the support of the American people."-Joe Conason

*****

I'm teaching my 2 needle coptic book tonight at Stampin' From The Heart in L.A. (310 391 0466). Afterwards, I'm hoping that I can get out of class and over to Studio City in time for the Will Eisner event at Storyopolis.

***

Speaking of events, there is a book and paper fair this weekend in Pasadena. More info here. I have Saturday off, so I may try to get to the show on Saturday.

*****

Democracy Now had a great interview with Utah Phillips on the show yesterday. Phillips died last Friday. I loved listening to what he had to say...

Comments

Popular Posts