I finished the last page in my journal the other day...Some of you know that I have a knack to get 3/4 of the way through my journal and want to move onto another one (as I make a "demo" of something in every class I teach, I have a ton of books on hand and ready for use). So, I was telling my friend Alix how inspired I was with various artist books I had seen online that were "wrapped like packages" and how cool that would be to do something like that...I decided that I would "sew" the last signature to the back cover. Then on the edge, I tied pieces of fabric "ribbon" around the stitches. It looks really cool when you close the book (see second picture). Thanks Alix for the "permission" ;) Much appreciated!


This is the new journal I am working in now. I gutted a copy of Wisdom (found for $5 at a local used bookstore). For now, I am keeping the cover and inside covers the way they were. I haven't painted or covered them over *yet* (am not sure if I will do so). I used a painted strip of canvas to reinforce the spine area. I used Regular Gloss Gel Medium. The book is held together using the three hole pamphlet stitch. (Poke 3 evenly spaced holes. Start by going out the middle hole. Go up and into top hole. Skip middle hole and go down and out bottom hole. End by going back into the middle hole. As you sew, you are sewing through the signature "pages" and through the book's spine.)
Oh, and yes, I am using the pages inside the book (nothing goes to waste!). Here's a page I started last night using stickers, collage ephemera, pens (some latte pens from Jet Pens, a black gelly roll glaze pen and a yellow souffle pen).
My boy dying Easter eggs and his father hiding behind him...

I went a little bonkers last night and ordered a shitload of decorative packing tape on etsy from a vendor in Japan (this is why I don't keep money in my paypal account! LOL). I'll take pictures and let you know more when it arrives. Amazing what you will find if you go to Etsy, ebay, (or Google) and search for "decorative tape", "Packing tape", "Japanese tape", "Cram Cream", "NPW tape"....to name a few. :)

Comments

Alix said…
Wow, Kelly, I fell behind on reading your blog and I WAS MENTIONED! Figures. ;-)

I LOVE what you did with the last signature in that book -- and I think the "if this seal is broken" stuff is just the coolest capper on that.

Nice work!

Popular Posts