I heart Maira Kalman

Still having computer problems so here is my post about what books I am packing with me.

Of course, I need The Principles of Uncertainty by the wonderfully delightful Maira Kalman. I heart her. You need this. You want this. Get this for your best friend for Christmas. Get a copy for yourself. Julie at Picture Book Illustration (I heart Julie's blog-you need to visit it. Daily. Go. Now. But come back, please.) Because of Julie, I found out about Studio 360. You must listen to it now while you read this post and explore. Go. But come back, please.
So, I am bringing Maira's book...yet, that's not enough. I am also bringing:

Stampington's Artful Blogging. I have had this since its premiere, its debut. Yet, I have not read it. I have looked at it. I have carried it with me. I have drooled over it time and time again. Its pages are dogeared.

Age of Feminine Drawing-Oh, I heart this book. Oh. Oh. Oh. I do hate the vellum cover. It is not in the most perfect condition because of the fragile cover...but I love this book. I want to wrap myself in its pages and glean inspiration from it.

Corey Moortgat's Art of Personal Imagery-I love Corey's work. I have oogled this book many times yet I have not had the chance to read it. I am hoping to do so on my trip, my "working" vacation.

I wish I had my Art & Life zine #10, but the latest issue has not come yet. The Amazingly Wise and ever so talented Judy got hers. I may tick off the post office and go look-see if it is there tomorrow though my mail is supposed to be held starting tomorrow (of course!). I always have my mail held a day early as they have messed it up in the past and delivered mail when they were not supposed to. Ce la vie.

I may bring my Catalina Estrada book.

I think I am bringing Julie Arkell's wonderful book with me because I cannot put it down.

I think I am bringing Pict booklet vol. 02 as it is small and thin and reminds me of a paumes book.

I might snag one of my Lynda Barry *it is supposed to be for Christmas* books that I will get after Christmas when we come home. I am eagerly awaiting her book Writing the Unthinkable due out Spring '08.

Of course this list might change...I might add to it. I might decide to leave stuff at home. I might just go crazy and pack everything. Who knows what will happen?

It might make you feel better to know that last night after teaching a fun class at Stampin From the Heart in L.A. that the 3 of us went out for the night and I passed up several books. We had pizza at Mulberry's (grrr they keep burning it!) We went to Giant Robot. At GR2, they had the Jill Bliss and Saelee Oh show-loved it. I did buy 3 sticker sheets and a roll of cram creme yellow tape. We went to Alias books. Nada. We went to Gene de Chene. I bought a Christmas book for kids. That's it. We went to Borders in Westwood. We went to Book Soup. I passed on two illustration books. One of which is expensive and I have the first volume and it's "so so". It was wonderful seeing it last night at Book Soup but $65 it is too expensive. I debated using my Borders 40% off coupon so much that I even went to the store this morning to go through the book again, but I didn't but it. It didn't jump out as it did last night... (I'd rather buy books at the indie stores then the chain stores but $65 is more then I can afford for a book. I am sad and very tired of seeing books with high prices that most can not afford and only cater to a few.)

Today I am baking cookies for the plane. I am packing. I am trying to get the "little things done".

Today I am grateful that our car was not broken into last night. I fell asleep after 12:30, only to be awoken an hour later by loud smashing noises, car alarm and screaming. David jumped out of bed. I grabbed my robe and the phone to call the police. So many questions-just come, just come! No, I did not see what happened-I only heard. No, I did not go look (though I did after the phone call) as I thought calling the police was more important first. No, I do not know what happened or whose car or what. Just come. No sleep last night. Still not sure what happened. The only evidence is someone's candy apple red side mirror that was on the street and is now on the stoop placed there by a stranger.

More artwork to come. Hubby is still doing "computer stuff" and I am unable to upload pictures of my art into the computer.

Comments

Taylor schapiro said…
If you bring less books with you you can bring more back with you silly
Julie said…
Hi Kelly!

Popular Posts