My "Little" Cousin, Andrea (17!!) and her Mom, my Aunt Joni:

You can shed tears that she is gone
or you can smile because she has lived.

You can close your eyes and pray that she'll come back
or you can open your eyes and see all she's left.

Your heart can be empty because you can't see her
or you can be full of the love you shared.

You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday
or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.

You can remember her and only that she's gone
or you can cherish her memory and let it live on.

You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back
or you can do what she'd want: smile, open your eyes, love and go on.


*****

It's funny how seeing pictures and just thinking can make you remember things. Things that make you laugh or cry. Typing "My Aunt Joni" about the photo reminded me of when Andrea was little we'd say "MY Mommy" and give Joni hugs and Andrea would get pissed and yell and stomp her foot, NO MY Mommy. We'd egg her on and say, "nooooooo, MY Mommy" and she'd go nuts and wrap her arms around her Mom (or Dad if we said MY Daddy but it really worked with Mommy) and yell MY MOMMY!!!! Little kids are so cute how protective they are of their parents.

My sister, Erin, found the above reading. My Mom's going to read it at the memorial service. I think it's appropriate and Joni would like it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
i'm so sorry you lost your dear aunt, kelly. being with other people who loved her and remembering her as you are here is comforting. funerals are always so dang hard but at least you get to talk with other people who share your love and affection. peace to you, my friend.
&rew said…
The reading sounds perfect.

&rew
Anonymous said…
The poem is beautiful and your art honoring your aunt is too.My your memories give you comfort.xoxo Lorraine
Anne said…
Kelly, I just found out that poem was read at the Queen Mum's (Queen Elizabeth's mother) funeral. A very fitting memorial for you precious auntie.
Maija said…
What a beautiful and meaningful poem. I will print it out as areminder of my own mom. I can see you aunt was so very dear to you.

Popular Posts