A page I did a month or so ago, but with tutorial added (Below):

One of my favorite "toys", Caran D'ache Neo Art Watersoluble Wax Pastels-The GrandDaddy of ALL of the watersoluble wax crayons:



I'm not going to complain about the heat or that my hands are sweating as I type...Nope. Thinking positive. (Those of you in cold weather, please send some MY way. I hate the heat and think that anywhere between 40 and 70 is perfect weather).

Some of y'all have asked me how I do things...Well, here's a mini tutorial I did for a page a short bit ago.

I save my scraps. I just started doing that again (silly creatures, aren't we?) I don't if it's cardstock or anything like that, but decorative papers go into a little bag. I began this page by grabbing "scraps" and gluing them down using my favorite glue stick, Scotch (supposed) "Permanent" brand. Then I glued the heart and the hand down. Next step, I pulled out my favorite toy, the Caran D'ache Neo Art Watersoluble Wax Pastels (yes, it's a mouth full. No there's no oil in these. Yes, they are a million times better then the NeoColor IIs. No, there's no oil in them. NO, Kelly doesn't use anything oil based in her artwork-bleck! Don't like it! Yes, these are expensive at about $4.50 per crayon. Yes, they will last you a LONG time as they are fat and FILLED with pigment. Yes, these are the same crayons I've been touting (and selling occasionally) for years now. No, I don't make money selling them I only do it so that Caran D'ache will keep making the crayons so *I* can buy them (hey, at least I'm honest). Yes, you can tell the difference between the Neo Arts and the NeoColor IIs and you certainly can tell the difference between them and the (bleck!) portfolios.) I rubbed 3 of the colors-yellow, magenta and blue one at a time on the page (hard) and then I use a rag to rub the colors in. The crayons will "Move" with anything wet or with a dry rag or paper towel. So for "liquids" you can use: water, gel medium, gloss medium, acrylic paint, gac, acrylic glaze, iced tea, spit, you get my gist. My favorite though is a dry rag. I keep one in the bag with the crayons. (Oh, another tip if ya buy the crayons in a box, take them OUT of the box and put them in a bag. Trust me. You'll never use 'em in the box as they are "too good" to be used in the box. Throw them in a bag and you'll thank me later. Unfortunately Caran d'ache has decided that the only way to carry the FULL set of 60 now is in the stupid expensive wooden box that costs an ADDITIONAL $100 JUST for the box. So next time I need to order I am just ordering them "open stock" in sets of 3.)

The last step was to add the writing using my Sakura Gelly Roll Glaze pen (in black-I loveeeee those pens). I let them dry 100% and then "outlined" in white using the Sharpie Poster Paint Pen (Waterbased extra fine).

***
My friend, Gwen in AZ asked about rub-ons and what kind I use. Here's a list of the ones that I have bought that work (and work WELL):
Hambly
American Craft Co.
Making Memories
Chartpak
Gen X
-those are my faves and the ones that I know work. Occasionally I will see old rub ons dirt cheap. My trick to see if those work (because rub ons dry out very easily) is to rub off the logo or some portion of it with my fingernail on the box or piece of scrap paper. Always store your rub ons in a cool, dry place NEVER near heat and NEVER put anything on top of the rub ons. I have a box for rub ons alone!

****
Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with any of the above companies. I work for me and me alone. Everything that I use in my classes (with the exception of some stamps from Postmodern Design and Paperbag Studios) I buy on my own just like you guys do!! SO that being said, I have to really like something to recommend it!

****
The rich get richer while over a billion people go to bed hungry every night. Makes you ask how they can sleep at night?

****
Why Gary Tyler should be freed and freed NOW. The people speak out.

****

Bono's bullshit.


Comments

Alix said…
Kelly, you wrote "Yes, these are the same crayons I've been touting (and selling occasionally) for years now." But I read, "...and smelling occasionally..." and thought, wow, those must be good crayons! If I smell them, will my art look like that? LOL!

Thanks for the tutorial. And you're right, 40-70 degrees is the PROPER TEMPERATURE RANGE for human beings. At least me. Check back in with me when it is 108 this summer where I live.
Kelly Kilmer said…
LOL, yes they are *very* special crayons. If you smell them, they magically transform your artwork. It's like eating a cupcake-it magically makes you not gain weight LOL!! NOT!
I am *not* sniffing crayons, glue or anything else for that matter ;) though the soup I have on the stove does smell yummy.
Oh God, 108. Yeah. I know. I am NOT looking forward to the heat. The stupid city or landlord or SOMEONE chopped down the one and only tree we had in front of our apartment building...so we be thinkin' here that it is going to be hotter then hell in this stupid building all summer (the heat gets trapped on the second floor and in our attic and there's no vent or anything to get it out). GRRRRRRR
Anonymous said…
Hey Kelly,
Just discovered your blog and thank you so much for such a helpful tutorial. I am a new artist at age 42 and am having to teach myself a lot. I wish I were closer so that I could take some of your workshops ... then again, I enjoy our weather here in upper SC.
Where do you purchase your NEOart pastels? I am trying to find a source locally but haven't succeeded yet. Is there any place online?

Thanks.
beth said…
kelly...do you have a website address where we can order the same caran D'arche pastels that you are referring to ????
When I do a search, it seems like there are lots of choices and I want to make sure I get the right ones !!!!
Thanks a bunch...

Popular Posts