Does anyone else know this man?? Do you recognize this from when you were little?

Do you find yourself some days whistling this little harmonica ditty in your head for NO reason?
The above photo is of "Captain Bob", Bob Cottle. Some of my earliest memories are getting up at the crack of dawn (5 a.m. rings a bell) to watch something I think was called "The Nature World of Captain Bob" or "Drawing from Nature". This man was my earliest art influence. He could teach ANYONE to draw. He never spoke down to the kids. He was always informative and never ever boring. At the end of every episode he'd show viewer's drawings and always something wonderful about them. I'd love to be able to watch one of his shows again. I've tried YouTube. I've tried Google Video. Alas, no luck. I know that it aired on Channel 5 in Boston. I watched it as a little girl in the late 1970's, early 1980's. I can't begin to tell you how much I Loved this show as a kid (and wish I had a copy now...)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Boy...I'm not familiar with this artist. I am from the Wonderama era with Jim Macallister--and I would give anything to watch one of his TV shows from the late 1960s/early 70s. If you have any leads, I will be eternally grateful to you.
Thanks
Muki
Joel said…
I used to LOVE Captain BOB. I was thinking about this show for some weird reason today. I'm a graphic designer, and I honestly think I have captain bob to thank for sparking my interest in art.

I was never too happy about waking up so early to watch the show. IF only TIVO had been around.
Kelly Kilmer said…
If anyone ever sees any copies of "Captain Bob" on VHS, DVD or even laserdisc, drop me a note! (I'll buy even the bootlegged kind!)

Popular Posts