Journey To The Soul class this weekend at The Art Bar in Santa Ana...catch it while you can!
Just a small selection of my stamp collection... I also have some other shelving units full of stamps. I'm very picky about the stamps that I buy. I like ones that I can use again and again. Backgrounds are a big plus with me...


Long day today. The highlight (other then me being able to get back into my PJs at 4:15!) was being able to have breakfast and hang out at the Chateau Marmont in Hollywood with my friend Adriane Giberson. Adriane was celebrating her birthday...I"m sure she'll be posting all of her 'ventures on her blog so you will have to check it out there! I don't want to spill any beans!! We exchanged Christmas presents (she is just above and beyond generous-not to mention psychic...tons of goodies none of which I had and all of which I was drooling over and were on my "wish list"). I also gave her birthday presents-enough books to open up her own store at this point, I think!! LOL! It's hard being a book afficiando and knowing that your buddy is one too. ;)

The lowest point of the day was having to get up before the "butt crack of dawn" like I always call it (5:30 a.m.) to drive David downtown L.A. for jury duty. He was done by 11:45 but has to go back tomorrow (which means that Kelly will be wearing her Chauffeur hat again).

Not much time today to get "work" done so I am a little behind.

I wanted to give a shout out to all of you that participated in my Howard Zinn's "Artists in a Time of War" swap...they will be going out some time between now and the first week in February...so heads up!

My friend Diana Britt gave me a delightful book (one I had never seen before) called From Death Comes a Scribbler by The Unknown Scribbler. The book is about an artist who, upon learning of the death of artist Edward Gorey, has Gorey visit her in a dream...It is just a little treasure that I really really adore (Thanks Diana).

Edward Gorey has been one of my most favorite artists ever since I was a little girl. I will never forget the opening of PBS' Mystery! show. I loved the animation (I still have the music in my head as I type). What really caught my eye was the illustrations that Gorey did for one of my most favorite authors, John Bellairs. The illustrations and the text went hand in hand with each other. I was hooked on both Bellairs' characters and Gorey's illustrations. Now you know where my email address comes from! I was deeply saddened when I found out about Gorey's death. What also bothered me was the stories I heard from people running into Gorey around Cape Cod...oh, I would've loved to have sat and spoken with him.

I will be on Craft Lab tomorrow (Tuesday)...should be interesting. I don't like watching myself or anything (and since I don't have cable), I won't be seeing it. Not a great experience for me-just uncomfortable with the way my hair and make up were done and the whole thing (hey, at least I'm honest).

Plus, some people do not understand that I do NOT just "Slap" paint onto the page. I know what I'm doing-and the look that I want to achieve. It is hard to recreate "exactly" each and every time..but who wants to do that? That's not art-that's assembly line style. My students know how many different techniques there are-thousands of ways to paint or collage...and they know how hard I work to try to make all of my classes truly unique... I was surprised when I was asked to be on it...hopefully it will be ok. I was really nervous as it was a completely different experience then teaching.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well, Kelly, I know that you don't just slap paint on!

While I was watching you on Craft Lab (I was so excited that you were on!) my kitty Lola stood up and tried to 'catch' the linen thread during the bookbinding. It was hysterical! Unfortunately, she stopped when I got the camera.

I'll pay it back for her later and see if she'll humor me again, and if so, I'll send you the picture!
Kelly Kilmer said…
HA! That is way too cute!! You will have to let me know if she does it again!!! TOO Cute!!!
Anonymous said…
Saw you on Craft Lab! You did very well, and those of us who have taken a class with you know there is a lot more to your technique than can be contained in 1/2 hour less commercials. Your layers are very complex and have a lot of depth. Not just paint slapping!

Popular Posts