I was hoping to be able to update my blog with some wonderful, positive news about my recent trip to Colorado, time spent with my Mom and Tristan, all of the great things that have happened in the last week...

But I can't do that right now.

I will, later.

But not now.

I was leaving my class tonight in Monrovia at Stampin on Cloud 9 when my Dad called. He had sounded somewhat funny when I had spoken with him earlier...we talked for a few minutes. Then he asked me to call him when I got closer to home-the tone in his voice made it feel that something wasn't right.

I asked him what was wrong. He said nothing. Then I asked him if he had heard from "Uncle Warren" about how Emily was doing. He sighed and said "She didn't make it."

Emily Quinlan lost her battle with leukemia at about 1:30 this afternoon. She died with her family there. My Dad had spoken with Warren last night and he was holding his 18 year old daughter in his arms. He didn't think she would make it through the night.

I'm asking, begging, pleading all of you that read this-and those that you can pass it on to, to please hear me out. Please. Please. Please. Become a bone marrow donor. Emily's fight doesn't have to stop even though the leukemia won. We can all help other kids and other people who need it.

Maybe it is YOU that can save a life.

It's painless. It's easy. In some places it may be free.
(It should be free.)

I'm not going to rant now how we can let the government "our government" spend millions, billions, trillions of dollars to bomb the shit out of countries and not to do more on saving lives instead of taking them. Trust me. That could go on for pages and pages...I'm not going to rant about how "our government" can get away with not offering healthcare-one of the most basic necessities to people...I could rant and rant and rant right now with all of the emotions that I am feeling.

But I won't right now.

I Will Remember Emily.

Remember a little blonde haired girl in a ducky costume smiling away.

Remember a young girl hanging out with her Dad, Marilyn and the Smith family at the Bar at my parents 25th wedding anniversary.

Remember a young woman who fought one hell of a fight.

Now keep up the fight against cancer in her name. There are lots of "Emilys" out there...lots of kids that need our help.

Go do something good in her name, today, please.

Comments

majamom said…
KElly,
I am so sorry to learn of Emily's Passing. I will keep all of you in my thoughts * PRayers.
Namaste,
MB
Erika Tysse said…
Yes! People can make a difference! My uncle was diagnosed with leukemia 6 months ago and lucky for him, my mother (his sister) was a match. He is doing good but he was one of the lucky ones! He got a second chance on life but there are people out there that are waiting as well! Thanks for making your voice heard, Kelly!
Anonymous said…
Thoughts and prayers go your way. There is never enough we can do for people like Emily.
Kris said…
Kelly I will check into donating here and if I need to I'll go further in distance to do it. I've always told myself I should do this and just never did. I will now....for Emily and for whoever. You are a great inspiration in more ways than one!
Kelly... {{hugs}} And... as squeamish as I am, I'll check out how I can donate too... after my neck/shoulder feels better. :)
Anonymous said…
Dear Kelly,
I met one of Emily's friends at a Kinko's while she was making flyers for Emily's bone marrow drive in San Diego, California. I have always wanted to register and never knew how to go about doing so. I am of Cuban, Russian, and Australian decent and know how rare it is to find matches for people of different ethnic backrounds. My mother and I grabed a flyer from her friend and went to register. I met Emily's father at the drive and the experience changed my life. I am deeply moved by her passing and will carry her in my heart forever. I want you to know that I will forever rally in Emily's name and her life had an amazing purpose. I hope this brings you comfort in your time of great sorrow.
Paula said…
Kelly, I am so very sorry. I am holding you and yours tightly in my thoughts and prayers.

Popular Posts