If you read just one book this whole year...


My friend Taylor recommended it...now, anything Taylor recommends is usually "most excellent" so when I was shopping at Green Apple with Bev and Shoshanah, I found a copy in hardcover and for a price I couldn't resist. It's one of those books that once you start reading it, it's "Oh, I can't put it down yet...15 minutes more..." and it's after midnight and you have to get up at the crack of dawn to take your boy to school but you still can't put the book down. It's the kind of book that even though you have a ton of work to do, an apartment to clean, errands to run and a car to clean out, you forgo doing everything to lie in bed under the blankets on a cool day and read this book. It's the kind of book that makes you want to schlep to the bookstore and check out more of her books.

*****

If anyone sees a redhead in West Hollywood doing a rain dance, it's me. I've psyched myself up over the last few days that it was going to *POUR* out today. It's almost 2 in the afternoon and no rain. No nothing. Some people thrive on sunshine? I could live under clouds and splashing in puddles all of the time. I am going to be a very grumpy girl if the skies do not open up soon.

*****

This came in the mail yesterday. I ordered it ultra cheap from Amazon used...of course I didn't use tortoise delivery. I picked hare delivery instead. I told you about Emma Magenta the other day after finding her book, A Gorgeous Sense of Hope at Anthropologie a week ago with Bev & Shosh.

*****
Here I am still pissing and moaning-but I'm REALLY pissed about this-

WHY is this boy still in jail?? I've talked about it before on the blog and I wish I didn't have to repeat it (Mychal Bell should be OUT of jail and there should not be any charges at all for a school yard fight. WHY is no one speaking out about the damn white kids that hung the damn nooses from the tree in the first place??? THEY are the ones that need to learn something!!) Find out more about the Jena 6 here. Um, isn't this supposed to be 2007? Why are some idiots living like it's pre 1960? Mother Almighty what the hell are people thinking??

Comments

Candace said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Candace said…
Hey Kelly!! Love your work. Love your vent on the six!!!! It's so outragous, it's just ridiculous. If you have a good news link let me know. i'm planning on putting a candle visual up on my blog and I want to link it to a news story.
Kelly Kilmer said…
Democracy Now devoted most of last week to the Jena 6
http://www.democracynow.org/index.pl?issue=20070921

here's the origins:
http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/21/158237

This is the website of the Jena 6:
http://jena6.vesana.com/

wsws has had several articles:
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2007/jul2007/jena-j31.shtml

Counterpunch http://counterpunch.com and other various sources have also had it on their website.

I mean the simple fact that these kids had to get permission to sit under a tree that the white kids could freely sit under speaks volumes. Yet, they point the finger at the 6 kids for being troublemakers. Did the Jena 6 put the nooses up on the tree? I don't think so!

Popular Posts