On My Shelf: Books About Artists Who Happen to be Women


I stayed up late last night to finish Bridget Quinn's Broad Strokes: 15 Women Who Made Art and Made History (In that Order.) If you pick up one art book this year, make it this one. I loved every bit of it from Quinn's detailed and insightful history  (melding other artists lives with her own) to Lisa Congdon's luscious portraits of the artists profiled in the book to the photos of the artists' work. I took it chapter by chapter, artist by artist until last night when I was just too engrossed to put it down.

Broad Strokes made me think about all of the books about female artists that I have collected over the years. The thoughts that come into your brain at two a.m...I thought I'd be able to put my books on women artists all
on one shelf. When I started pulling books and piling them on my bed, I realized that wasn't going to happen anytime soon. The books also quickly overtook the bed space and I was short on time so here is what I had within reach.

I purposely did not include my collection of Frida Kahlo, Georgia O'Keeffe (I will have to do an updated post about my O'Keeffe books) and Corita Kent books. 

Again, this isn't all of my books on female artists. I'd have to really move books but for now, here's a taste. I will try to add to this post over the next few weeks. As I write this, important titles that aren't in the photo are popping into my brain. Are there any books that you think I am missing?

Comments

Popular Posts