What You'll Find Here

I post daily (photos of my journal pages, things that inspire me and personal bits and pieces) to inspire and encourage others. I have always believed that if I can do it, so can you.

You'll find resources (my favorite supplies, books, slideshows of my art journal pages, favorite bloggers, etc...) listed along the right hand side of my blog.

I've been teaching both in person and online workshops for almost twenty years now. You can find out more about my classes by scrolling down along the right hand side of my blog. I strive to make classes accessible to everyone (both beginner to advanced).

I love teaching and truly believe that deep down inside everyone is an artist, capable of creating something. There is power and knowledge in the act of creating something with your own hands, made from your own heart and head.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at EGorey99@sbcglobal.net

Thanks for stopping by!

-Kelly

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Bucky F*cking Dent



David's surgery is quickly approaching. We've been busy doing what needs to be done but we've also found some time to do some fun things. 

Last night, we went to Barnes and Noble at the Grove to meet David Duchovny who was there to read from and sign his latest book, Bucky F*cking Dent. Duchovny's daughter, West, also attended and she helped hold the book for him while he read (this is after he asked for a "volunteer" while looking right at her.) Duchovny said that it's not a book about baseball and that anyone angry should just yell, "Bucky Fucking Dent!" (this is even listed as an AKA on Wikipedia which made me laugh loud.) Duchovny was vacationing in Massachusetts and heard a worker talking about Bucky Fucking Dent and stopped to ask him what exactly that meant. He said he didn't stop thinking about the name and how great it was. He wrote a screenplay. Duchovny was frustrated that as a screenplay it couldn't get made as an independent film and turned it into a novel. I really enjoyed the passage that he read from last night and am eager to read the book. In the meantime, David won't stop talking about Bucky Fucking Dent and that game (he swears that he watched it on TV. I was four and don't remember it. I wish my Dad was around as I'd definitely ask him about Bucky Fucking Dent and I know he'd have a story to tell.)

Another interesting thing about the book is that Duchovny insisted that on the title. The publishers and Powers That Be were not happy as they worried that it wouldn't be searchable via Google (with or without the asterisk.) So, the title all came down to what could be found via a Google search. Insane!

It was truly a surreal night (it always is when you meet folks that you see on tv and in the movies.) David just said to me, "It felt like we were in the presence of Mulder." I appreciated that Duchovny was able to keep the focus on the book and that the fans respected that. I am kicking myself that I didn't ask him who his literary influences are. Hopefully he'll write a third book and we'll get to do this all over again.  


1 comment:

Michelle Reuss-Remy said...

I am deeply jealous to the point of indecency...I can't even imagine being within photographic distance of Duchovny...thank you for sharing!