Cutting Board....

Many people have asked, "What do you use to cut your mat board?"

I've had the same Fiskars Craft Rotary Paper Trimmer since 1996. I bought it when I started to make and sell greeting cards. When I started making books, I decided to try using it to cut the board. I order my board from Clearbags.com (I usually by the 4-ply White Backing Board.) While, Clearbags will usually cut the board to the sizes that I want, the spines are too small for them to cut so I cut them using the above trimmer (see the photo? It's all mat board.)

I couldn't find my paper trimmer on fiskars.com. My guess is that it's too old and has been replaced with this one
. It looks like it's doubled in price as I remember paying around $40 or so for mine.

Some interesting things:

-In almost 16 years, I've only ever had to change the little rubber mat once.

-I've never changed the blade.

-I only cut board with it now.

-And, yes, my hands do bother me a tiny bit but usually it's only when I've cut a ton of mat board like I had to cut today (for Fremont next weekend) and even then, it's only for a very short time until the red grooves in my hand go away. But ya do whatcha gotta do and I've got classes to teach and books to make, baby!

I also have some of the smaller portable paper cutters. I used to use those for cutting board, need be. You would have to cut, crack the board, flip it over and cut again.

I don't use x-acto knives. They scare the hell out of me. Everything that it super thick that needs to be cut, gets cut on this board.

I hope this helps!

Comments

Barbara Hagerty said…
I have the same fiskars cutter that you have and I love it. I've had mine for a couple of years and have never had to change anything. It cuts like new, and I've cut museum board and sheets of plastic. The only difference between mine and yours is that mine has storage compartments on the sides for extra blades. I got a pack of extra blades when I got the cutter because my old rotary cutter ate up the blades fast, but I think I may never need a new blade with this one. I'm really surprised at what all it will cut. I think I paid about what you paid, but I had a 50% coupon off the original price of $79.99. Even at the regular price, I'd buy one of these. I can't imagine a cutter that lasts as long and cuts as much! It's ugly, but I love it.

Popular Posts