2004 Journal Spread

I was flipping through an older journal from 2004 today. The journal was full of painted pages, experiments of various texture gels, some collage and a lot of writing. This is one of the few spreads that has a lot of collage in it. I thought that you might enjoy seeing some of my older work.

I believe that this spread was done in a class I took with Juliana Coles. With all of the teaching that I do, it's extremely rare that I get to take a class. I've been very lucky to take several classes over the years with Juliana. It doesn't matter how much you think you know about the art journaling process, Juliana always pushes you outside of your comfort zone. She now has online classes as well as kits of classes in her etsy store. She's one of the best teachers out there.

My attitude is that there's always something new to learn. You just have to keep your mind open and be willing to experiment with new ideas, techniques and approaches. This is something that I have repeatedly stressed in my 14 years of teaching art.

*****

I saw the new book, Safari as a Way of Life (about Dan Eldon), last night at Book Soup (in the biography section). It's probably a must for die-hard fans. However, you should know it's being marketed towards teens and it reads like it. There are some cool attachments sprinkled throughout the book. It looks like there are some new photos and journal pages included as well. I didn't buy it yet but probably will down the road. If you're new to Dan Eldon's work or you don't have any books about him, I would highly recommend The Journey is the Destination: the Journals of Dan Eldon. Chronicle Books just republished it (though your library or used book store should have a copy.) Also visit the Dan Eldon website here.

*****

My son makes stop motion lego films. He just finished a new one if you'd like to check it out. It has sound, too, fyi. He has more on his youtube channel, as well.

Comments

MarleneMAZ said…
Love the video! My oldest used to do these too and we got really into the Lego Mini figs. Tell him to keep making them, they are so fun to watch.
Emie58 said…
Fun video! It brings back memories of watching the show when I was young.
Dawn D. Sokol said…
Tell Tristan we want to see more! So fun!!!
Judy Shea said…
Kelly.. this video is great.. what a talent. I'm going to check is YouTube out... thanks for sharing.
irene said…
Your spread is rich, complex and intriguing. Isn't it fun to look at previous work?
Kelly Kilmer said…
Thanks for the kind words on Tristan's video!! He really appreciates (as do I!)
Sandy said…
Love the journal pages from long ago. Tristan is so talented but I knew he would be look at his talented parents. I let my hubby watch and he loved it too. Great job Tristan!
Barbara said…
Kelly, I love that page. Tell Tristan I watched his videos, they are very cool. I am forwarding the link to my nephew out in Oregon. I'm sure he will love them. He has a collection of cool Lego stuff he has built.
Carla Sonheim said…
LOVED the video. Wonderful!!

Popular Posts