What You'll Find Here

I post daily (photos of my journal pages, things that inspire me and personal bits and pieces) to inspire and encourage others. I have always believed that if I can do it, so can you.

You'll find resources (my favorite supplies, books, slideshows of my art journal pages, favorite bloggers, etc...) listed along the right hand side of my blog.

I've been teaching both in person and online workshops for almost twenty years now. You can find out more about my classes by scrolling down along the right hand side of my blog. I strive to make classes accessible to everyone (both beginner to advanced).

I love teaching and truly believe that deep down inside everyone is an artist, capable of creating something. There is power and knowledge in the act of creating something with your own hands, made from your own heart and head.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at EGorey99@sbcglobal.net

Thanks for stopping by!


Saturday, April 30, 2011

What I'm Reading

I'm not kidding when I say that I have a pile of books next to my bed to read. I'm a bibliophile which gives me the excuse that I simply can't help it.

Last night I picked up The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde at Alias Books in West L.A. It was a big score and finding it made me quite happy!

Art book wise, I am reading Open Studios with Lotta Jansdotter. http://amzn.to/mEuemH Okay, I confess. I haven't read it yet. At all. I am very content (at the moment) with randomly flipping through and looking at the pictures.

There are some books that I devour and digest very quickly. These are not those kind of books. These are books that should be relished and savored, consuming a bit here and there very, very slowly. I already have a place on my bookshelf reserved for each title. For now, they are planted by the head of my bed where I can reach over and lose myself in their pages for a short time.

What books are you savoring?


Evelin said...

I just bought some books on bookbinding and journalling. Although I know japanese stab binding, kettle stitching and coptic stitching, there's so many more techniques out there to be explored!

So excited when I opened up the books! And the books on journalling is just marvelous! It's eye candy galore! I never really know how to start art journalling but let's hope the book helps! :P

Kelly Kilmer said...

Art journaling-you start by picking up your supplies (whatever they may be) and you ask yourself, "what if?". Go from there. Keep making. Keep pushing. Don't be afraid to make a mess. Pick yourself back up and start all over again. Don't forget to have fun with it!

Evelin said...

Kelly, thanks! I guess I am the kind who's afraid of making a mess. I need it to be neat.. erm, I dunno how to explain but art journalling is so creatively expressive. I guess i have an issue with that.... haha... But I'm going to take your advice and start.. Let's see how it goes from here... :)

May just join you for the next online class if I can't get myself moving :P If only I'm near you, I prefer to join 'off-line' classes :P

Kelly Kilmer said...

Put the blinders on, jump in and start a journal page in a way that makes YOU happy. :) Do it YOUR way.

I always tell my students learn how to do it, then do it YOUR way. ;)

Arika said...

Currently enjoying Traci Bunker's new art journaling. I'm not even halfway through and I think it's one of the best books I've read yet on journaling. I have always loved her focus on the page being for herself, not just to be "pretty." Good stuff!

Also reading Rilke's Book of Hours.

martha brown said...

Thanks Kelly -- I somehow missed this one coming out. Right now I'm enjoying Sarah Ahearn's Painted Pages