What You'll Find Here

I post daily (photos of my journal pages, things that inspire me and personal bits and pieces) to inspire and encourage others. I have always believed that if I can do it, so can you.

You'll find resources (my favorite supplies, books, slideshows of my art journal pages, favorite bloggers, etc...) listed along the right hand side of my blog.

I've been teaching both in person and online workshops for almost twenty years now. You can find out more about my classes by scrolling down along the right hand side of my blog. I strive to make classes accessible to everyone (both beginner to advanced).

I love teaching and truly believe that deep down inside everyone is an artist, capable of creating something. There is power and knowledge in the act of creating something with your own hands, made from your own heart and head.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at EGorey99@sbcglobal.net

Thanks for stopping by!

-Kelly

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Had a great time today in Berkeley

I visited one of my most favorite cities on the planet today, Berkeley, CA. I was asking myself what is it about this city that I love so much? Is it the shadow of the 60's that hangs over the city? Is it the weather? Is it the diversity of its people? Is it the eco-friendliness of it (sooo many trees)? Is it all of the bookstores? Is it all of the old houses that are all so eclectic? I think it's a combination of all of the above. I always feel so alive and happy when I visit. I only wish that David and Tristan were with me...

I woke up, showered and checked out of my hotel. I stopped in at Dick Blick for some E-Z air Invisible Care Cream. I walked out with a bottle of that and a bunch of Martha Stewart Valentine's day stuff that was marked down to pennies. Score! The Dick Blick in Berkeley not only has a great selection of goodies, but their clearance section is usually amazing.

Next stop was Scrapbook Territory. Oh how much I love that store! They always have the latest and greatest. I was trying to behave. I was actually doing that (I had maybe $15 worth of goodies in my hands) until I stumbled upon the brand new stencil masks that I had yet to see anywhere!! (I didn't even know that they had new stencils!). I didn't buy all of them, but I bought the ones that I knew I wanted the most and the ones that my students would enjoy.

I hadn't eaten breakfast yet, so I popped into Manhattan Bagel for an egg salad sandwich. Yum! (Glad I decided to skip Betty's Diner ONLY because the line was insane and I was so hungry).

Castle in the Air beckoned. I'm so happy I stopped in. There is an exhibit on the second floor of artwork by Cleo Papanikolas. I also bought her book, Cook Until Desired Tenderness. It's a fictional journal and sketchbook of a culinary artist. Layers of text and color combined are completely scrumptious, luscious and lovely. It is definitely a must see book. (I bought it knowing full well that it means I now have to get rid of FOUR books when I get home.)

I skipped Paper Source as I was at their Santa Monica store only a week ago. I was sad that the one of the bookstores that I love was closed due to building issues (they had a notice up that they would reopen as soon as possible. Weird, huh?)

I looked in at a few of the other stores on 4th street like the toy store and the other bookstore. I didn't buy anything, but I had fun looking!

Up next was The Caning Shop where I had to buy more waxed linen thread. It is one of my favorite places to buy my bookbinding thread.

Last stop in Berkeley was Pegasus Books. On my way there, I passed Comic Relief with large out of business signs. It's a sad sight, but I have high hopes for their new store. Fingers crossed. I didn't buy anything at Pegasus, but it is always a must visit whenever I am in town.

I pulled the car over several times to take pictures. I also enjoyed sitting and just watching the rain.

Now I'm scheming as to when I can go back.

Class in the morning! I'm all set up! The studio is adorable!! I can't wait!

5 comments:

Raine said...

Looks like you scored! I'm gonna have to get my butt down to CA one of these days. ;)
What company makes the stencils/masks that you got? I'm always looking for new ones.

Sarah said...

Sounds like a perfect morning!

Marissa said...

Berkeley/Oakland...Amazing places. I can easily see you in that environment and thriving. It's a whole other way of living and thinking than SoCal.So lucky that you can visit a few times a year!

Anonymous said...

You are an inspiration! What is that cream you bought? I think its what I am looking for...Angelica

martha brown said...

I'm about a month behind on my blog reading. I'm hoping to travel to California some day soon-- I hope to visit Berkeley (and San Francisco).
I just bought this same book of 7Gypsies paper on Friday -- I must have been connecting to my inner Kelly :)