These should be called "if 3 year olds could sew"...For some reason, I've had it in my head the last couple of months that I *really* wanted to make a toy of some kind. Soooo I bought the Plush-O-Rama by Linda Kapp book looking for inspiration (which I got). Tristan and I poured over the book together a few times. My favorite is the Bat/Cat one (Batzilla or Catzilla I forget the name). I saw that one and said "I need this book!!"

Oddly enough, I can sew books. I can dissect stitches and figure them out. But for the love of God, I can't figure out how to sew FABRIC. I made these two "Models" tonight. Tristan has created a "top secret" comic book character which I am NOT allowed to talk about (hee hee-9 year old boys are funny!!) and he has been bugging me to make a toy of this character. Well, the fuzzy photo of the "rectangle" creature is my prototype. Tristan wouldn't let me put ears or limbs on the thing-he loves it as is. In real life it isn't that blurry on the eyes (damn old digital camera!!)

The second photo -Tristan wanted me to make a jellyfish. SO I dive right in without a pattern and spend 2 hours making it. (I don't have a sewing machine and I am scared shit of them. If I need to sew the damn thing gets sewn by hand. I don't like machines. If I didn't have David I probably wouldn't even have a computer!!)) Well, this is what happens when you don't make a pattern, do it all on a wing and I guess have been heavily influenced by Tim Burton, horror films and Poe. Yup, the sad, scary jellyfish.

The weird thing is you can tell that both were made by me.

I've said it in the past to my students and I'll say it again. The more you 'create' something. I don't care what it is!! But the more you "create" someone can come along and say "Oh, you've made this and this and this...I can see it. I can see your STYLE." In making these goofy toys tonight I can see the style-granted I'm cringing at the style being reflected in this silly dolls buttttttttttt you can still see it.

OH! Tristan and I are going to Boston in March/April for exactly a week. I'll be teaching at The Stamp Act Store in Marshfield, MA. I *love* that store. Marie, Gloria and Dan do an absolutely amazing job at keeping their clientele happy customers!!! Bernie Berlin will also be teaching there in February, FYI!

Comments

Popular Posts