Well, we've entered another "stage" in life.
Tristan (who is 9 and 3/4 now :)) asked me about Santa yesterday. I tried to evade answering him when he asked "do you bring the presents" but he persisted and he was muttering about "lies and lying" under his breath. So, I sucked it up and answered him. He burst out crying but calmed down. I am still not sure if he was crying because he was really upset or if it was that he thought he wouldn't get presents any more. I took him to our favorite bagel shop and we sat and talked about it. He asked me "What about the Easter Bunny?" and I just looked at him. He said "OH God! Not that too!!" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry on that one.
Later he told me that he felt like he had entered a new stage.
Stage five, he said.
I asked him what that meant. He said "Now I'm a man."
I told him I didn't think so...
not yet...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh my god!!! Oh my god!!! what a touching story. You got balls girl. I'm down to the last one to believe and luckily he hasn't asked yet. You handled it quite well girl, I have a tear in my eye. (or is that a booger) no it is a tear
Hugs
Tammie
Kelly Kilmer said…
He broke my heart...and it makes me sad to think about what he said yesterday but he didn't want me to lie and I want him to realize I won't lie to him...
But WHAAAAAAAAAAAA I want my little boy who was ok until 2:45 yesterday back! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Anonymous said…
Oh, Kelly! This is such a bittersweet story. This had to be difficult for you. Thanks for sharing this! Happy Holidays, my friend! Roben-Marie :)
Shari Beaubien said…
Gosh, I remember the day I learned the truth so very clearly. And my thoughts were exactly the same as Tristans... "Not the Easter Bunny, too!" and "What about the Tooth Fairy?". Hang in there, Kelly. Being a mom is never easy. Hugs, Shari
LOL..... OMG!!!! ROFLMAO... Wow...

You had him fooled for a LOOOOONG time... Gabriel asked, and I couldn't tell him less than the truth, somewhere around first grade... but we still "pretend"... he plays along... I think it makes them all the more grateful to know that it's coming from you and not some mystical being. As Gabriel likes to say... he'll "get over it after lots of psychological counseling that *you'll* be paying for"... :)

Hugs,
Adriane
Kelly Kilmer said…
The thing is I always answered his question of "Does Santa exist" with "If you believe in him, then yes, he does exist." But this time the question was different "Do you and Dad bring the presents?" and not about Santa. EEPS.
He's getting over it but still talking about it ;)
Erika Tysse said…
thanks for the laugh, I needed that tonight. I had the same question the other night and I answered it with, "well, what do you think"? I think they were both afraid of the answer so they didn't go past that. I can see what lies ahead. I have a 9 3/4 too!

Popular Posts