I don't remember what the date is on this one, but it's a few years old...

I cringe some times when I look at old journal pages/art projects/photos of me, etc...(and that being said, I wish I had some of my old art)... LOL But it's all part of the process. If I didn't make that art "X" amount of years ago, I wouldn't be doing the art that I'm doing now. If I don't make the art I'm making RIGHT now, I won't be going in a different direction in "X" years...

Dan Eldon is famous for having said "The Journey is the Destination". But I wonder how many people really understand what that means.

It can be used to describe your art, the process of making art and the final result. I often have arguments in classes with students asking "WHY should I paint over (or collage over or write over or WHATEVER) what I just did? I worked hard to get "THAT LOOK"."

Well, that being said, you don't have to "X" over anything you just did, but if you want to push your work one step further, then paint over the damn thing! It's just paint. It's just paper. Paint can be removed-grab a baby wipe. Paper can be layered on-get some "stuff" and glue. Things can always be "fixed" if you're really that uncomfortable. I'm there to show you how.

I'm not always sure why people take my classes (that little unsure voice that often screams at me from inside my head). I think that some like my artwork, want to see my process, want to learn something new, want to get out of the house/away, etc.. Those are some of the reasons...but when they argue with me I wonder what's up & why they are there :)

I know why I make art. I make art for the process. I don't care what the final result is. Some times I love it, some times I look at it and say "what was I thinking?!?!" but it's the whole process. It's like having a baby-you know the baby's coming, you get ready for it..you nurture it, you take care of it, you make sure to take care of yourself, etc... Then the baby comes and you love it-boy, girl-whatever, you love it. (Well, with the exception that the baby usually is the final outcome that you are looking for LOL)

WHAT I'm trying to say is, don't get too attached to your artwork. Give some away. Rip some up & reuse it. Make color copies of it. Whatever. (Keep the baby, though, ok? LOL)

Revel in the joy of creating. Don't worry about what the end result will be. Some times you can pop out art in a few minutes. Some times it takes a while. Don't worry about it. Art is fun and shouldn't be stressful.

And the next time I tell you to paint over something, will you trust me?

Comments

Popular Posts